help-gnunet

[Help-gnunet] Re: need help on messaging open source software if possibl

From: Kenneth Stailey
Subject: [Help-gnunet] Re: need help on messaging open source software if possible
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 06:43:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Daniel Seagraves <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2003, Stephen Jones wrote:
>
> > Just for the record, I use UUCP (and have for 10+ years) for queuing of
> > mail on two secondary MXes for 100+ domains.  The primary MX is SMTP.
> > Is this the real world? ;-)  I'm actually doing the same for twenex.org
> > and have the unix host reprocess the mail later .. again, if SMTP is ever
> > down for an extended period.
>
> I use UUCP to deliver mail to my home machines through my firewall and
> my ISP's firewall. My ISP blocks mail ports to force you to use their
> mailserver, and I don't want to do that because I have lunar-tokyo.net. So
> I have my home machines poll UUCP over TCP. It solves my problem nicely,
> do I count as real? (In the event that I am not real, does it entitle me
> to tax breaks? As far as I know nonexistent people do not pay taxes ^_^)

Wow, this really started me thinking.  In the past I was discussing GNUnet with
a friend of mine and he suggested that using E-mail as a message transport
would not be that hard to defeat by those in control of SMTP gateways.  Now the
idea of using UUCP over TCP to bypass those that are interfering with your SMTP
makes the idea of using E-mail as a message transport even more robust.