help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] Indexing impossible : insertion forced

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Indexing impossible : insertion forced
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:58:31 -0700

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 14:58, Milan wrote:
> Hi again !
> I report you another problem... ;-)
>

> When I try to index a file using gnunet-gtk, the status bar says
> "Updating XXX" then "Indexing file XXXX failed. Trying to insert..."

You may want to check gnunetd's logs, they may contains some more info.

> So I'm unable to simply index files...  Disk space is not the problem.
> Note I'm not sure there are really inserted, since I don't find any way
> to check my indexed files (gnunet-stats doesn't tell anything).

$ ls -l /var/lib/GNUnet/data/shared/

this should list all indexed files (symlinked if possible, otherwise copies).

> gnunet-gtk should (in the future...) list all that files and allow to
> remove them.
>

> Also gnunet-insert has a bad estimation of needed time :
>                 0 of             9495 bytes inserted (estimating
> 213503969307 days to completion)
> That's a really little tweak, but I think it's good to note it...

Well, this only happens at the beginning -- we've so far done zero progress
(but spend some time), so the way the math works out is that it would take
infinitely long time to finish.  An alternative would be to just not print an
ETA.

> By the way, couldn't gnunet-gtk show all the logs in a text view, i.e.
> in the 'General' tab, like eMule does ? And maybe hide outdated messages
> in the status bar like "Updating...".

Actually, IIRC there is a text view for logs still in the code, but there is
no way to open a window to show it at the moment.  I guess we could move that
widget into the general tab.  As for the status bar, it always shows the last
LOG'ed message.  What we may consider doing is implement a timeout that
empties it if nothing is logged for N minutes.

> All these are only ideas for future versions :-)
>
> Thanks for all

:-)

Christian