help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] nsswitch not resolving VPN records

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] nsswitch not resolving VPN records
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 23:08:44 +0100

Dear Ivan,

First of all, 0.10.1-4 is like 3+ years old, so I'm likely to have
forgotten about some of the 350+ issues we've fixed since.  Generally,
we right now recommend people (especially devs) to use the code from
Git, even though that's naturally somewhat unstable.  That said, I just
had reason to test the VPN resolution logic, and for me it works right
now (in Git master).

Anyway, about your specific problem: When the gnunet-service-gns gets a
'VPN' record and is expected to produce an 'A' (or 'AAAA') record, it
must talk to gnunet-service-vpn to obtain the IPv4/IPv6 address.  You
can do the same kind of operation using the 'gnunet-vpn' command-line
tool (specify info from VPN record, it should return the IP).  If
gnunet-service-vpn is

* not running (even though it should be started automatically),
* not working (i.e. interface not up, SUID gnunet-helper-vpn not
  properly installed)
* or somehow not accessible (access control policy on UNIX domain
  socket, iptables blocking TCP port, etc)

it will block/retry until VPN becomes available (which of course usually
means "never" in the 3 cases above).

To diagnose, you might try running 'gnunet-vpn' with the matching
information from the VPN record as the same user that executes
gnunet-service-gns.  If that works, eh, well, then I don't know and
would have to start debugging (but I don't debug 0.10.1 anymore).

Happy hacking!

Christian