help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] Fair Compensation for Musicians, Producers, Game Desig

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Fair Compensation for Musicians, Producers, Game Designers, Authors, and other artists
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:50:26 +0000

Christian Grothoff transcribed 3.6K bytes:
> On 04/20/2017 09:29 PM, Zeb Thompson wrote:
> > While the free exchange of information and content is great, it raises
> > important questions regarding how artists such as musicians, producers,
> > game designers, and writers are supposed to make a living if anybody can
> > share and access their content for free.
> >
> > I get the impression that the industries these people operate in could
> > implode if GNUnet becomes "The Internet" (and this issue isn't taken
> > care of).  The result would be few if any new songs, movies, games, or
> > novels because nobody could make a living from their artwork any more.
> >
> > Is this being considered by the GNUnet developers?  If so, then how?
>
> With GNU Taler, we will make it much easier for journalists, free
> software developers or artists to directly receive payments for their
> work which they can publish on GNUnet without having to (1) compromise
> their work to appease a publisher, label or museum, and (2) share the
> proceeds with such intermediaries.  So this should help a lot.
>
> Beyond that, I know quite a few people in the community that argue for
> basic income, which is a social solution (but a bit out of scope for
> GNUnet as this particular social solution is orthogonal to our technical
> proposals).

In my opinion as a musician (although still on hiatus) the combination of
distributed
networks and a payment system like TALER has huge potential for more
fair income for artists than before.

In the long term it could - ideally* - replace the current exploiting industry
as long as replacements for dominant services today are developed.
Mailingorders, Independent labels, netlabels and others are among
the early users of new ways and means to distribute, I think this
will happen again.

It's just a matter of when, who's going to implement it first and
how do we "sell" (move from the public presentation we have now to
the point where the presentation is not just addressing people who'd
like to develop) GNUnet better.

I should finish that concept of an "art exchange" I had before I learned of
TALER.

* ideally: of course the exploiting business forms will follow
whereever their interest, content producers, move.
--
PGP and more: https://people.pragmatique.xyz/ng0/