help-gnunet

[Help-gnunet] GNUnet's ties to languages

From: Tirifto
Subject: [Help-gnunet] GNUnet's ties to languages
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 13:55:46 +0100

Hello all!

(Note: I lack insight into internet-related technology, and below are
 my observations from a user's point of view.)

I’ve been reading about GNUnet and secushare [1] for a bit, and if my
understanding is correct, this software aims to be a replacement for
the internet and the World Wide Web. Seeing it as a prospective project
with ethics in mind, I'd like to ask if thought was given to its
connections to human languages.

With the current web, I notice some of an unfair bias towards the
English-speaking world. As an example, a website's address typically
starts with “http”, soon followed “www”, both of which are English
acronyms. Those addresses could only use characters from the English
alphabet for a while, so the rest of the world had to adapt to this.

If GNUnet contains parts that the end user will directly interact with,
is it an aim to make them as fair as possible for all nations?
(For example, were the WWW's addresses designed this way, they might
allow for other alphabets, and the acronyms might come from an
international language, such as Esperanto.)

Best wishes
// Tirifto