help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] From IRC chat: ng0 asked me to post problems with the

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] From IRC chat: ng0 asked me to post problems with the git docs.
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:21:49 +0200

On 10/07/2018 06:42 PM, Diagon wrote:
> ---- On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 00:19:00 -0700 Christian Grothoff <address@hidden>
> wrote ----
>
>   > Hi Diagon,
>  >
>  > Thanks for the constructive feedback. I've been trying to get people to
>  > put installation instructions into
>  > doc/documentation/chapters/installation.texi and -only- there,
>
> Can you give me instructions how to compile this by hand, so I  can read it?

$ cd doc/documentation
$ makeinfo --pdf gnunet.texi

You should get a PDF with ~230 pages called 'gnunet.pdf' afterwards.
Similar --html, --docbook and --plaintext should also work...

> Also, you understand that all these requirements/ optional requirements/
> very-very optional requirements are quite confusing, particularly without
> documentation.  Where did this guy royneary on github find out?  How is it
> they know that many of the "required" packages are actually not required?
> That one is replaceable (libgnurl) and that the one that's too old can just
> be left out (libmicrohttpd-dev)?   For me at least, as a non-developer, this
> is bewildering.

I suspect they figured that if it compiles without the dependency, the
dependency clearly is strictly-speaking optional ;-).  Which is true for
many dependencies, as we try to make it such that then features are
simply disabled in the build.

>  > I hope this helps a bit where we are and where I hope to go!
>
> It helps a lot!  There is the key issue that didn't get answered, though.
> Could you help with that?
>
> There is one required package that is too old in both Ubuntu 16.04 and Debian
> Stretch (libmicrohttpd-dev).  How do I deal with that?  There is also an
> optional package that is too old in Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04 and maybe Stretch
> (libpulse-dev).  How do I handle that? - without damaging my system, that is.
>  Also, what does libjansson-dev provide, and what version do we need?  Are
> there any other unmentioned {,{,very{, very}} optional} dependencies?

You could install libmicrohttpd from source (by default to /usr/local),
and pass --with-microhttpd=/usr/local to 'configure'.

libjansson-dev provides the ability to parse JSON, which is used by the
GNUnet REST APIs, which is used by ReclaimID, which is not yet
documented at all in the manual.  I hope Martin will find the time to
move some of the existing documentation into the manual "soon".

> I would in addition suggest that any release (0.11.0) should be able to work
> in the most up to date Debians/Ubuntus, which does not now appear to be the
> case.

Agreed.