Re: Cannot configure gnustep-objc

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Cannot configure gnustep-objc
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:53:07 -0600

fs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I try to  install the Gnustep environenment under Sparc-Solaris 2.7, but I
> get an error when configuring in gnustep-objc (v1) directory : the
> configure script cannot find the "gthread cflags" whereas I have configured
> and installed glib, with the --with-threads option enabled (but I think it
> is enabled by default). Then I have tried to mention the library path (--
> ./configure --libdir=...) but it has failed again to find gthread.
>
> Glibs are installed in /usr/local/lib (default dir).
> Why does configure not recognize my glib?

For gnustep-objc, you don't run the configure script, you just make
using the GNUmakefile (if gnumake is installed, simply typing 'make'
will work).

If you have some library that somehow needs to get compiled with
gnustep-objc (and probably therefore with every GNUstep program), you
should configure this when making gnustep-make:

cd gnustep-make...
CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/lib" LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lgthread" ./configure
make install

Although really this is not a good way to set a threading library.
GNUstep isn't set up
to allow one to specify an alternate threading library. I should
probably change it
so it can do that. Meanwhile, what you really need to do is hand-edit
the

gnustep-make/config.make

file so that the variable 'objc_threaded' is set to something like
'-lgthread', and then re-install gnustep-make