c++ compilation within objc framework

From: Stephen Brandon
Subject: c++ compilation within objc framework
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:16:52 +0100

Hi,

Working on a set of frameworks that have been until now 100% ObjC,
compilation has been fine on MacOSX and GNUstep.

But we've just added some c++ classes, with some bridge code to make the
classes available from ObjC. This works just fine in ProjectBuilder (MacOSX)
but I can't find any way to get the cpp files to compile on GNUstep.

I've never tried to extend the makefile system before now and don't know
where to start. I've got a reasonable idea of how make/gmake works... but
it's a pretty complex system in there.

As a stopgap measure, is there an easy way to make a rule within my
GNUmakefile to compile cpp files? How would I then ensure the the object
files created are linked in with the other ObjC files?

I have tried putting this into my GNUmakefile at various locations:

.SUFFIXES: .cpp

$(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)/%${OEXT} : %.cpp
        $(CC) $< -c $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_OBJCFLAGS) -o $@

But it has no effect whatsoever (still get "No rule to make target...
...cpp" message).

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,
Stephen Brandon