Re: GCC 2.7.2.2

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: GCC 2.7.2.2
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:47:43 +0200 (CEST)

> Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:56:01 -0500
> From: "Doug S Johnson" <Doug_S_Johnson@raytheon.com>
>
>  I'm having a terrible time installing GCC 2.7.2.2
> >
> > In the instructions #8.  Build the compiler.  Just type 'make
> LANGUAGES=c'
> > in the complier directory.   I'm assumming the compiler directory is the
> > "cp" directory.  When I type the command "make LANGUAGES=c" I get the
> > following error:
> >
> >         Cc ?c  -DIN_GCC ?DSVR4  -g      -I . ?I.. ?I. ?I./../config
> call.c
> >         /usr/ucb/cc:   language optional software package not installed
> >         make: *** {call.o} Error 1
> >
> > I've searched the web for answers; a few says I need to install gcc, but
> > isn't that what I'm doing.
> >
> > Any help you can provied would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
> >
> >                                                 Doug

That's a chicken-egg problem.  To  compile gcc, you need a C compiler.
You don't have any C compiler installed on your system. /usr/ucb/cc is
saying you that you don't have  it. Since you don't have a C compiler,
you can't compile gcc.

You should  get a binary distribution  of gcc (any version)  or of any
other C  compiler for  your system,  and then use  it to  compile this
version of gcc.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__              (o_ Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email //\ the computer industry all around