Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:48:50 -0600

Graham Lee wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to get the GNUstep system working on my PC, in order to update my
NeXTStep skills/try things out in readiness for MacOS X/develop Linux software.
 I followed the steps in the GNUstep-HOWTO (including sourcing GNUstep.sh and
setting ~/.profile to do so, configuring the timezone with defaults, and
setting up the daemons), but found that this still did not install the
Foundation/ library.  On trying to build the extensions-0.8.6 source (with gcc
3.0.4 and GNU make 3.79.1) I get:
PrintfScannerHandler.m: In function `-[PrintfScannerHandler convertChar:scanner:
]':
PrintfScannerHandler.m:73: `char' is promoted to `int' when passed through `...'
PrintfScannerHandler.m:73: (so you should pass `int' not `char' to `va_arg')

extensions is not well maintained, so it's possible it doesn't compile correctly (Particularly with the newer compilers).

Also, when trying to build gnustep-back 0.7.8, I find:
GSContext.m: At top level:
GSContext.m:348: parse error before "GSTextDrawingMode"
GSContext.m:363: parse error nefore "NSGlyph"

Seems odd. Have you installed gnustep-base-1.3.3 and gnustep-gui-0.7.8? I'm confused by your comment that 'this did not install the Foundation...' (which is gnustep-base).

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you