Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep on i686-pc-linux-gnu (SuSE 7.3)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:40:38 -0600

Graham Lee wrote:
***
produces the error:
"helloworld.m:1:33: Foundation/Foundation.h: No such file or directory
helloworld.m:6: Cannot find interface declaration for `NSObject', superclass of
`helloObject'"
Now if I'm invoking the compiler incorrectly, please tell me.  If I'm
#importing the file incorrectly, please tell me.  This is what I'd do on a NeXT
system (only the NeXTs I have access to predate the Foundation).  I notice that
Apple have added a -framework option to gcc -- should I be using this?

Just some additional commments:

Unlike NeXT/Apple, we don't have the luxury of changing the compiler to automatically find GNUstep stuff, so you need to use the gnustep-make package to do this...

However even if the above is true, it doesn't explain the compilation errors
with gnustep-back.

Yes it does. It's not obvious, but in almost all cases, you need to use gnustep-make and gnustep-base with the same version number. And you need to use gnustep-gui and gnustep-back with the same version number (Note gnustep-back has only existed since version 0.7.6). Some day all the versions will be in sync (I think).

--
Adam Fedor, Digital Optics Corp.      | I'm glad I hate spinach, because
http://www.doc.com                    | if I didn't, I'd eat it, and you