Re: Library not found

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: Library not found
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:21:03 -0600

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 10:56:16AM +0100, Sebastien Pierre wrote:

> >> !find
> find /usr/GNUstep -name "libPira*"
> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/libPiranhas.so.1.0.0
> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/libPiranhas.so.1
> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/libPiranhas.so
>

> Any ideas ?

Actually, I have two ideas.  First of all, the
/usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh script must be ran
in every instance of the shell.  This is because the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is not inherited.  So... you need to put the line
. /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
into your $HOME/.bashrc file, NOT your $HOME/.bash_profile file

Now, if you are using zsh you have other problems.  Zsh handles
splitting a little bit differently than bash, so you can either
edit the script:

cd /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles
cp GNUstep.sh GNUstep.zsh
cp ld_lib_path.sh ld_lib_path.zsh

open GNUstep.zsh
On line 226 change
. $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/ld_lib_path.sh
. $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/ld_lib_path.zsh

open ld_lib_path.zsh
On line 43 change
for dir in $GNUSTEP_PATHLIST; do
for dir in ${=GNUSTEP_PATHLIST}; do

then make sure you source the right file in .zshrc

Or, if you're like me, you get sick of updating the shell files, and you
simply put a line like

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GNUSTEP_ROOT/System/Libraries;$GNUSTEP_ROOT/Local/Libraries

in your .zshrc file after you source the file.

-OR- you can bypass this all, load the script only at login, and put the
directories into your /etc/ld.so.conf file (and make sure to run
ldconfig as root!)

Hopefully that gets you all set up to get GNUstep working,
Andy Ruder