Problems building gnustep-gui (make_services chomps memory)

From: Dominic Hargreaves
Subject: Problems building gnustep-gui (make_services chomps memory)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 18:00:25 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I am having a problem building gnustep-gui (both versions 0.9.0 and
0.9.1) on Redhat 7.3. The build hangs (and generally kills my machine
due to memory exhaustion at around this point (with 0.9.1):

Creating GSspell.service/Resources...
Creating GSspell.service/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...

The process eating memory appears to be make_services, and is happy to
consume at least 1.7GB of RAM (before I kill it off).

I'm working from the SRPMS found on ftp.gnustep.org, and have
successfully (apparently) compiled and installed gnustep-make and
gnustep-base. gcc is the dubious "2.96" from Redhat, so I guess this is
a possible area of concern.

I can't find any reference to this particular problem; mostly the
discussion of make_services is to do with it coredumping. If anyone can
shed some light on this issue I would be grateful.

Cheers,

--
Dominic Hargreaves | http://dom.magd.ox.ac.uk/