YellowDog Linux on G4 compiling basic ObjC program

From: Vladimir Leven
Subject: YellowDog Linux on G4 compiling basic ObjC program
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:19:18 -0600

Hi,

I can't figure out how to compile a simple ObjC program on Yellow Dog Linux. My
main.m looks like

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
int main(int argc, const char *argv[]) {
   NSAutoreleasePool *pool = [[NSAutoreleasePool alloc] init];
   NSLog(@"all tests passed");
   [pool release];
   return 0;
}

and my GNUmakefile like

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make
TOOL_NAME=mtest
string_OBJC_FILES = mtest.m
include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make

make produces:

Making all for tool mtest...
Linking tool mtest ...
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.rodata+0x4): undefined reference to `main'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [shared_obj/mtest] Error 1
make: *** [mtest.all.tool.variables] Error 2

What am I doing wrong?
And actually, I would be even more interested in how to build my test program
directly with gcc. I'm considering using ObjC/GnuStep-Base for embedded
development and would prefer not to use the supplied makefiles.

Thanks for any help!

System: - Apple G4
- gcc (GCC) 3.4.0
- YellowDog 3
- Latest RPMs for YellowDog of GNUStep downloaded and installed