Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:11:18 +0000

Forgive me for butting in, but you and David appear to be talking without
connecting ... at least you appear to be ignoring his points.

Your point seems to be basically that use of '/proc' is not portable and that the /proc api is bad. That may be true, but it's not a useful point since we have to work with the features actually available on a system. Certainly most of the ms-windows api is neither portable nor good, but we still have to use it
on a windows system.

Davids point was that he would like to see examples of specific cases where the existing code does not work as it should on some systems, preferably with patches to fix it on those systems (ones which don't break other platforms), so we can improve things. Apart from your 'side note' below, you seem to have
ignored this request.