Re: FTC_MAnager_Lookup_Size

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: FTC_MAnager_Lookup_Size
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:17:04 +0100

David wrote:
I have just installed GNUstep, and I'd like to say how impressed I am with it... except that I cannot run any of the programs! Whenever I try to run a GNUstep app, I get the following error:

$openapp Ink

/opt/GNUstep/Local/Applications/Ink.app/Ink: symbol lookup error: /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back.bundle/./libgnustep-back: undefined symbol: FTC_Manager_Lookup_Size

Most likely you have more than one version of freetype installed: freetype-config is pointing -back at one version, but the dynamic linker is using a different version when you actually run the app. To check this, you could try running ldd on the backend bundle and checking whether the path to libfreetype is the same as the path given by 'freetype-config --libs'.

docs/UPGRADE.UNX in freetype has a "Take care of XFree86 version 4" section with some instructions for dealing with this.

(This is a system configuration issue, so we can't fix this in GNUstep. However, back's configure could probably detect this and give more meaningful error messages than the dynamic linker.)

- Alexander Malmberg