Re: Double free invisible due to autorelease pool

From: Sébastien Pierre
Subject: Re: Double free invisible due to autorelease pool
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:33:41 +0100

Hi Richard, Adam,

First, thanks a lot for your answers !

Le 2 févr. 05, à 22:19, Adam Fedor a écrit :

I am currently in big trouble trying to find the cause of a "double free" which occurs when releasing an autorelease pool. Has anybody any idea to know how to identify where an autoreleased objects was freed (released, I guess) before being autoreleases ?

[NSObject+enableDoubleReleaseCheck:] might well help you.

This helped me to see that there is actually a double release check, but I would like the debugger to break on the raising of the "NSGenericException". On OSX, there is the "NSHangOnUncaughtException = YES;" provided by NSDebug, but it does not seem to be on GNUstep :/

Is there any workaround ?

I think you could also try setting the env var

NSZombieEnabled

I did not manage to find documentation on this, and it does not seem to have any effect. What is this used for ?

TIA,

 -- Sébastien

--
«And never can a man be more disastrously in death than when death
itself shall be deathless.»