Re: Distributing gnustep-based software

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Distributing gnustep-based software
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:28:27 -0800 (PST)

Sébastien,

--- Sébastien Pierre <sebastien-lists@type-z.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone !
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to statically link everything that a
> program uses in GNUstep, so that I can end up with an executable that
> will "simply work out of the box" on Linux systems with or without
> GNUstep.

The long answer:

Although it is theoretically possible to link all of the libraries statically
in this way, there are several reasons why it wouldn't work:

1) Resources.  The gui library, in particular makes use of Images which are
located on the installation dir.   It also relies on some .gorm files which are
in the resources as well which define some of the panels which are standard in
gui.

2) Daemons.  The base and gui library have daemon processes which need to be
running for some functionality to work correctly.  Chief among these are: gdnc
- the distributed notification center, gpbs - the pasteboard service, gdomap -
the distributed objects mapper.  Each of these plays an important role in
making GNUstep function.  Without these some GNUstep apps would be hopelessly
hobbled.

GNUstep is not special in this way.  Other development kits and environments
require similar daemons to run to offer certain features.

The short answer: NO. ;)