Re: Helvetica

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Helvetica
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 10:59:36 -0700 (PDT)

Thomas,

--- Thomas Gamper <e0107543@student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've updated my GNustep system using Startup 0.10 and installed Gorm 0.9.2,
> when I try to start Gorm or any other application I get this error
>
> openapp Gorm
> 2005-04-03 16:30:04.000 Gorm[10600] Created standard directory
> /home/eiszapfen2000/GNUstep/Library/Colors
> 2005-04-03 16:30:04.000 Gorm[10600] The font specified for NSFont, Helvetica,
> can't be found.

<snipped>

> In /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Fonts is a folder Helvetica.nfont, so why does
> Gnustep not find it?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> TOM

If you're using xlib (which I believe is the default for Startup) and you don't
have Helvetica installed under X (since Xlib relies on the installed X fonts
exclusively), you'll get this error.   Under art, it's not a problem since the
Helvetica font is included.

If you have libart installed, I would suggest that you switch to the art
backend.  See below:

1) Go to the "back" directory, under core.
2) ./configure --enable-graphics=art
3) make
4) Then su to root.
5) . /usr/GNUstep/System/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
6) make install.
7) Log out of root.

Once this is done, back-art is installed as your default backend.  You should
be able to start up applications just fine.  It should "just work".

If you want to stay with the xlib backend, which works, but is somewhat buggy,
you should do the following:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFont <Whatever font you want>
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFontSize <some size>

This will set the default NSFont for you.  You may have to make other settings.
 Please let me know if this works for you.

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.