Distribution supporting GNUstep

From: M Daser
Subject: Distribution supporting GNUstep
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 10:07:46 +0200

Hello all!

Which (major) Linux distributions support GNUstep?
I made the experience, that most Distributions don't provide GNUstep
packages. Most of them provide windowmaker as a window manager, but
nothing else - Using the SuSE CDs you don't even have the Objective C
compiler and libs - you have to use the DVD for installing those packages.

I'd like to install a Linux system with GNUstep on an older machine that
does not have DVD and also limited other resources.
I already tried to use the GNUstep live CD and tried to install it. This
was a failure and after tweaking the environment for a while I gave up.
Gentoo seems to have it, but requires a lot of resources, as you have to
compile a lot to get started (even for the base Linux system).

Can anybody give me a hint which Linux distribution comes with GNUstep,
binary packages preferred?

What about compiling the GNUstep packages and applications? Is it a big
effort?

Any info is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Martin