Re: Archives

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Archives
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:48:15 -0600

On Jul 15, 2005, at 7:11 AM, Matthias Hengartner wrote:

Hello,

After the (quite successful) porting of the railMLEditor.app, I'm now trying to port another (much more extensive) application from OpenStep to GNUstep. First steps look promising, but now I'm stuck in a (well-known) problem: I want to read (and later also write) OpenStep-Archives on GNUstep. I had already a look at some prior discussions, and I'm not quite sure about the current standings on this topic. I've also read about GMArchiver, which could be used instead of NSArchiver. But how to use this exactly?

The current progress you might be thinking of is with regards to Mac OS X keyed archiving. OpenStep doesn't have this - there is still the problem that these archives are binary and not documented.

GMArchiver and related files (in gnustep-gui/Model) would allow you to read the archives and write them into a plist-type format - but you would need to run this on an OPENSTEP machine). If that's possible, you could use it to translate all your archives into a more readable format, so that they could be used both in OPENSTEP and GNUstep.

Failing that, I think you're stuck trying to decode the OPENSTEP binary format to figure out how things are stored.