Re: Objective-C programming

From: Mehul N. Sanghvi
Subject: Re: Objective-C programming
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:00:04 -0400

Gregory John Casamento said the following on 9/28/2005 10:23 PM:
Sherm,

--- Sherm Pendley <sherm@dot-app.org> wrote:

"Mehul N. Sanghvi" <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> writes:

Is it possible to do any useful Objective-C programming, without
GNUstep?
Yes - tens of thousands of Macintosh developers do so every day.

I'm pretty sure he meant on AppKit/Foundation. :)

To answer Mehul's question.  Yes, it's possible.  The gcc Objective-C compiler
comes with a few simple objects you can use.  You are in no way forced to use
GNUstep's base/gui libraries,

Excellent.  Thanks.

Additionally, there's this project: http://www.kjwcode.com/projects/objci

I'll check this out.

GNUstep's base/gui (Foundation/AppKit) are much more mature than objci, so this
begs the question, why do you want to avoid using them?

I am not trying to avoid using them, just that I have a low-end machine
and don't want to strain it too much by having to make use of the
GUI (low end being 66MHz NuBus PowerMac 7100).  As I said in my original
post, I have wanted to learn Objective-C, but under the false assumption
that one needed the GUI as well.  Nicola and yourself have clarified
that misconception.

Thanks,

     mehul

--