Re: Objective-C programming

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Objective-C programming
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 04:34:53 +0000

On 2005-09-30 20:45:59 +0000 Mehul N. Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi@gmail.com> wrote:

Perhaps you can use ffi rather than ffcall ... it's an option at configure time.

As far as I can tell, there isn't a ffi library on NetBSD, at least I don't see on in /usr/pkgsrc. Does it come as part of gnustep-base ?

No ... it's part of the gcc compiler distribution.

Also, on NetBSD, there is something called gnustep-objc which according
to the description, is the GCC/GNUstep Objective-C runtime. Is this something that I should have ? Apparently all the functions have
their names changed to the GNU naming convention.  Should I use this
or the NeXT runtime ?   Do I even have that choice ?

No ... you need the gnu runtime ... there is no NeXT runtime for sparc64 afaik

My mistake in how I worded the above. Here is what it says in the package description:

"The runtime is modeled after the NeXT Objective C runtime. That is, most functions have the semantics as it is known from the NeXT. The names, however, have changed. All runtime API functions have names of lowercase letters and underscores as opposed to the 'traditional' mixed case names."

To me this means the following:

gnustep-base API           gnustep-objc API
----------------           ----------------
GSAtomicMallocZone         gs_atomic_malloc_zone
GSBreakTime                gs_break_time
GSCurrentThread            gs_current_thread
GSDebugSet                 gs_debug_set
NSAllocateObject           ns_allocate_object
NSCopyObject               ns_copy_object

Is my understanding correct ?

Well, the naming style is correct, but the functions you list are not part of the runtime library, they are base/foundation library functions.

Is this what I want ?

I'm not sure what you mean ... you have no choice about function names.

Or should I just
install gnustep-base and gcc-objc and leave it at that (along with
gnustep-make) ?

Yes.

Based on what folks have said here, I believe that as long as I have
gcc (with objc support), gnustep-make, and gnustep-base, I should be
just fine, yes ?

Yes ... the objc runtime library comes as part of gcc

cheers,

     mehul

p.s. This seems to be only there on NetBSD, and not on Debian.  Using
     the packing list to look for files in Debian packages turned up
     nothing.  Also, a quick look around the GNUstep download area
     doesn't mention gnustep-objc although it seems to have come from
     GNUstep FTP site, as per the NetBSD Makefile

Debian has gcc and the gnustep packages ... the names the used are probabaly different from the NetBSD ones though.