Numerous minor issues

From: Warren Nagourney
Subject: Numerous minor issues
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:17:36 -0800

Hello,

As a former NeXTstep 3.3 user on black hardware, I am attempting to create a similar user (and developer) environment in Linux (currently using YDL 4.1 on a Powerbook G4). I have installed the latest GNUstep (from source), GWorkspace, the Backbone apps and GNUmail. All of these more or less work, but there are a large number of minor annoyances and I was wondering whether anyone can shed some light on fixing them? Thanks in advance. In no particular order:

1. I can't get a white background (black foreground) in Terminal. Using the setterm command, the best I can do is get a grey background.

2. I can't get GWorkspace to recognize TextEdit as its text editor. It complains that Textedit.app is not a valid editor. Also, trying Codeeditor, (which it did accept), double clicking on a text file launches the editor but doesn't open the file.

3. Using windowmaker .92 there seems to be a conflict with the desktop in GWorkspace. Is there any advice on how to get these two environments to play well together?

4. Is there a general way to set the double-clicking behavior in GWorkspace (as in OSX)? In particular I would like a particular app to be selected for a certain type of file.

5. Is there a way to get GNUmail to locally cache mailboxes? It seems that the contextual menus in GNUmail dont work - right clicking on a mailbox doesn't bring up a specific mailbox-oriented contextual menu.

There are just a few of the many minor problems I am having. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Warren Nagourney
Univ. of Wash. Physics Dept.