Re: Use of GNUstep in a commercial application

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Use of GNUstep in a commercial application
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 01:05:47 +0000 (GMT)

Michael Hopkins <michael.hopkins@hopkins-research.com> wrote:
> I wonder if someone here could tell me in laymans terms whether or not we
> are allowed to use (unchanged) GNUstep code/libraries in an application that
> we host on a server somewhere and that people would log in to our server and
> pay to use.  Is this:
> 1 - no problem
[...]
> Is there any difference if the application is packaged and installed on
> their own server or desktop machine?

As I understand it, 'if you distribute copies of [GNUstep], whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
we gave you. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code. If you link other code with [GNUstep], you must provide
complete object files to the recipients, so that they can relink them
with [GNUstep] after making changes to [GNUstep] and recompiling it.'
[quote from LGPL preamble, which is about as plain as it gets.]

If it's on your server, you should give them access to the GNUstep
source code.

I am not a lawyer, so please ask one if you want legal advice.

Hope that explains,
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, online shop maker,
developer of koha, debian, gobo, gnustep, various mail and web s/w.
Workers co-op @ Weston-super-Mare, Somerset http://www.ttllp.co.uk/