Porting from MacOS X to GNUstep, some help needed

From: Michael Thaler
Subject: Porting from MacOS X to GNUstep, some help needed
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:16:08 +0200

Hi,

I try to port an application from MacOS X to GNUstep. The first thing I did was
to create a GNUmakefile to compile the application. I got the whole thing
compiled relatively quickly and when I start the application, it actually
shows an application icon. However, no menus or windows are shown.

First, the application main function looks like:

#import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    NSLog(@"main");
    return NSApplicationMain(argc, (const char **) argv);
}

I think NSApplicationMain loads the MainMenu.nib. Is this correct?

To see what's going on, I ran

$ strace openapp ./MyApp.app

But I could not see any output that indicates that the application tries to
load .nib files. I attached the end of the strace output.

Maybe someone can give me a hint what the application is supposed to do when
NSApplicationMain is executed and how you can debug this.

Greetings,
Michael