help-gnutls

[Help-gnutls] Re: 1.2.9 release candidate

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [Help-gnutls] Re: 1.2.9 release candidate
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:10:33 +0100

Daniel Stenberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> We discussed this some more, and we'll likely add an OpenSSL-like
>> version number integer.  If that works, I'll remove this symbol,
>> since the version number integer is more generic.  And it would be
>> less maintenance work for us.
>
> FYI:
>
> We've done it for many years in libcurl as well, and many users are
> successfully using version number checks in source code based on those
> defines.
>
> This is how we do it:
>
> http://cool.haxx.se/cvs.cgi/curl/include/curl/curlver.h?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I just installed something similar, and removed the
GNUTLS_CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FLAGS_LAST hack.

The NEWS file contain:

- Added numeric version symbols to permit simple CPP-based feature
  tests, suggested by Daniel Stenberg <address@hidden>.
LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_MAJOR,
LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_MINOR,
LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_PATCH,
LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_NUMBER: New CPP symbols, indicating the GnuTLS
                          version number, can be used for feature existence
                          tests.

And gnutls.h would contain:

#define LIBGNUTLS_VERSION "1.2.9"

#define LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_MAJOR 1
#define LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_MINOR 2
#define LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_PATCH 9

#define LIBGNUTLS_VERSION_NUMBER 0x010209

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Simon