help-gnutls

Re: [Help-gnutls] GnuTLS vs OpenSSL vs NSS

From: Daniel Stenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-gnutls] GnuTLS vs OpenSSL vs NSS
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:16:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Simon Josefsson wrote:

I've created some tables with a comparison between common TLS implementations. I'm running short of ideas on things to compare. Any ideas or suggestions? The URL is:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/comparison.html

What do you think?

I love it! The fact that libcurl supports all three of these also makes it a great comparison table for me to point out to libcurl users.

A few ideas:

- Make the Yes/No boxes use different colors (perhaps green/red) to make it
  easier to detect the differences when browsing casually.

- The multi-threaded situation. With NSS they say no mutex callbacks are
  necessary, with GnuTLS you need to set them in an _underlying_ crypto
  library while in OpenSSL you use the OpenSSL API to set them.

- The random seed situation. I don't know about the NSS in this aspect, but
  again with GnuTLS you need to set them in an _underlying_ crypto library
  while in OpenSSL you use the OpenSSL API.

These two latter points are stuff I've planned to discuss with you to fix in a future GnuTLS but I've not yet had the time.