help-gnutls

Re: [Help-gnutls] Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Help-gnutls] Using LGPLv3+ license for libgnutls?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 13:53:05 +0100

Hi Simon,

Simon Josefsson wrote:
RMS asked if there are is reason GnuTLS should remain LGPLv2.1+ instead
of using LGPLv3+.

The reasons I'm familiar with includes lynx under GPLv2-only.  Gnucash
is also said to contain GPLv2-only code.

Are there other reasons not to use LGPLv3+?

There are a number of applications out there that are GPLv2-only, including the project I work on (http://www.bongo-project.org/). OpenSSL isn't available for those who can't relicense their projects, so not having GnuTLS be available would be a big blow.

I recall hearing about policies that mandate LGPLv2.1+ in some projects,
for example the core libraries in GNOME, but I cannot find any reference
to this out there.  Anyone?

IIRC, Gtk+ hackers have talked about moving to LGPLv3, but nothing has actually been agreed.

Cheers,

Alex.