help-gnutls

Re: [Help-gnutls] GNU TLS 2.2.4 installation

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Help-gnutls] GNU TLS 2.2.4 installation
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:49:51 -0500

On Tue 2008-11-11 17:17:57 -0500, Rajitha Reddy wrote:

> Yes, I am using Cygwin. Can I install it on linux if that's easier?

Yes, Linux would be easier!

Most GNU/Linux distributions either ship with GnuTLS packages already
installed, or they are easy to fetch from the distribution's package
manager.

For example, on Debian-derived distributions (such as Ubuntu), you can
install the gnutls binary utilities with:

 aptitude install gnutls-bin

If you want to develop code against gnutls, you'll probably want the
development libraries, which you could fetch with:

 aptitude install libgnutls-dev

There are probably similar commands/package names for redhat- or
suse-based systems as well.

> ar: /cygdrive/c/Documents: No such file or directory

This looks to me like a problem with path names with spaces in them.
/usr/bin/ar is looking for a file at "/cygdrive/c/Documents", though
the full file is probably supposed to be somewhere inside:

 /cygdrive/c/Documents and
Settings/Desktop/libgcrypt-1.2.0.tar/libgcrypt-1.2.0/libgcrypt-1.2.0/src

Can you try rebuilding the package from a directory without spaces in
the path?

I'm sorry i'm not more help; i haven't had to fuss with cygwin in
several years.

        --dkg