help-gplusplus

Re: How to use gdb to start a program in the middle of a C++ program?

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: How to use gdb to start a program in the middle of a C++ program?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 21:18:46 -0700

"PengYu.UT@gmail.com" <PengYu.UT@gmail.com> writes:

> Suppose it takes me a lot of time to reach the bug code. I don't want
> to run the program again and again.

If you have a good idea where the bug is, you can make your program
skip steps and get to the problem faster.

> Is there any way to dump the
> internal information to the disk? And then load it when I need it?

Not really. There have been several projects (the technique is
called checkpointing), but you'll probably find your bug faster
by repeated runs than it will take you to correctly set up one of
these projects (assuming you don't need to wait longer then a day
for the bug to show up).

> I heard it is possible.

It's possible; just not practical.

Cheers,