help-gplusplus

Re: How to use gdb to start a program in the middle of a C++ program?

From: Martijn van Buul
Subject: Re: How to use gdb to start a program in the middle of a C++ program?
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 07:31:34 +0000 (UTC)

It occurred to me that PengYu.UT@gmail.com wrote in gnu.g++.help:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose it takes me a lot of time to reach the bug code. I don't want
> to run the program again and again. Is there any way to dump the
> internal information to the disk? And then load it when I need it?

You don't write what OS you're using, but if you happen to run something
Unix-ish, and if you are really really desperate, you could try to force
a core dump. Using this core dump, and the exact binary that produced it,
gdb can perform a post-mortem analysis. Sometimes. If you're lucky.

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
         Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333