help-gplusplus

Re: Linking with a static library.

From: Simon Buchan
Subject: Re: Linking with a static library.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:57:42 +1300

Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
<snip>
Be sure main.o *preceedes* libStuff.a on the link line. Gory details
on why this matters can be found here:
 http://webpages.charter.net/ppluzhnikov/linker.html

Cheers,

Thanks for the link, It cleared it up for me a bit, and hopefully I can avoid many a wasted hour in the future! However, I don't understand why it doesn't do the normal pass, grabbing all the object files et-al, and then if there are still undefined symbols, do the second pass (possibly with a warning). Sure it's inefficient, but I think my time spent playing librarian is worth more than the computer's, and trying to figure out link-time errors is just the kind of thing that can interrupt your train of thought.

--
don't quote this