help-gplusplus

Re: getting memory mapped IO to work on linux

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: getting memory mapped IO to work on linux
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:06:19 -0800

"Peter Nolan" <peter@peternolan.com> writes:

> We are getting a message saying synch.h is not found on the linux
> machine. When we search the machine it is not there.

It appears that you are using non-portable sema_... interfaces.
Any reason not to use the POSIX interfaces instead?

"Solaris to Linux" porting guide:
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/linux/sol_to_linux_porting_guide.pdf
says that sema_post() maps directly into (POSIX-standard) sem_post().

> I've talked to the sys admins for the machine and they tell me they are
> unsure which part of the gnu g++ package they should install to be able
> to do this sort of coding on linux.

There is unlikely exist any part of g++ package which will help
you here: use non-portable interfaces at your own peril.

> On linux should I be using these calls rather than sema_init etc?

You should probably use them everywhere; not just on Linux.
That will make your software portable.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.