help-gplusplus

Re: Makefile and gprof problem

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Makefile and gprof problem
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:46:33 -0800

RS <rsina_no.ssppaamm@comcast.net> writes:

> So my question is 1) why the program compiles,links and runs
> correctly, but the name of the functions look so weired?

They only look weird because you dont't understand a pretty
fundamental concept: name mangling. Read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_mangling

> 2) why the total and self times show to be 0.00?
> The program takes 15 minutes

The 15 minutes are probably spent in system (dynamic) libraries,
or waiting for the OS. What does "time ./a.out" say?

If the program mostly waits for the OS (system and user time low,
wall clock time high), then you can study output of 'strace -T
./a.out' (or whatever its equivalent on OSX is).

If user time is high, then your program spends most of its time in
system libraries, and you need to find -pg versions of them. Best
to ask on Apple-specific groups about profiling such libraries.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.