help-gplusplus

Re: Profiling under Linux

From: James Kanze
Subject: Re: Profiling under Linux
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:07:13 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 5, 9:59 pm, Ignoramus11615 <ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11615.invalid> wrote:
> I have a C++ program that is slower than I would like.

> I would like to use a profiler that would tell me in what
> functions is it spending the most actual time.

> gprof seems like an interesting tool, but I would like to know
> if there are other alternatives.

Why?  Does gprof has some problems that it's not providing the
information that you need?

> The issue is that I have a particular program that is slower
> under Windows than it is under Linux, and I want to know why
> that is the case.

So you want to use a profiler under Linux to find out why it is
slower under Windows.  Sounds a bit strange to me.  (FWIW:
Windows is significantly slower than Linux for many operations,
including file operations---anything involving reading from or
writing to disk will run slower under Windows.)

--
James Kanze