help-gplusplus

Re: Profiling under Linux

From: Jiří Paleček
Subject: Re: Profiling under Linux
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 00:48:14 +0100

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 21:59:40 +0100, Ignoramus11615 <ignoramus11615@nospam.11615.invalid> wrote:

I have a C++ program that is slower than I would like.

I would like to use a profiler that would tell me in what functions is
it spending the most actual time.

gprof seems like an interesting tool, but I would like to know if
there are other alternatives.

There are alternatives, among others:

- oprofile, which gives coarse, but based on real performance data (taken from the performance counters in the CPU)

- valgrind --tool=callgrind, which gives very detailed data, which are however based on simulation

None of these require you to recompile the program.

The issue is that I have a particular program that is slower under
Windows than it is under Linux, and I want to know why that is the
case.

I'm afraid profiling on Linux won't show you why it's slower on Windows.

Regards
    Jiri Palecek