Re: creating bootable image with a script

From: Michael Evans
Subject: Re: creating bootable image with a script
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 23:04:42 -0800

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Kevin Hunter <address@hidden> wrote:
> At 1:23am -0500 Tue, 02 Feb 2010, Kevin Hunter wrote:
>> At 11:39pm -0500 Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
>>> (hd0) /dev/loopX
>>
>> This I've done, but I think I've encountered a bug in Grub as it
>> segfaults everytime during grub-install.  Here's what I do:
>>
>> [recipe for what I do]
>
> And, if the script that I'm using would be helpful:
>
> http://cs.earlham.edu/~kevin/tmp/make_bootable_img.sh
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

I think you might have misunderstood.  Grub wants to look at a /whole
disk/  You have a /whole disk/ but seem to try to feed grub
individually loop-back mounted partitions on it.

(hd0) /dev/loopX << Whole Disk
(hd0,1) /dev/loopY << MAYBE the partition on that same disk; I DO NOT
KNOW IF THIS IS SUPPORTED.

I /know/ grub will want to see the first one because it _must_ install
within sector 0.