Re: creating bootable image with a script

From: Kevin Hunter
Subject: Re: creating bootable image with a script
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 05:11:58 -0500

At 2:04am -0500 Wed, 03 Feb 2010, Michael Evans wrote:
> I think you might have misunderstood.  Grub wants to look at a
> /whole disk/  You have a /whole disk/ but seem to try to feed grub
> individually loop-back mounted partitions on it.
>
> (hd0) /dev/loopX << Whole Disk
> (hd0,1) /dev/loopY << MAYBE the partition on that same disk; I DO
> NOT KNOW IF THIS IS SUPPORTED.

And there it is.  All this time I thought only the first line was
necessary.  Damn, that's annoying.  I've been over this, and over this,
and over this.  The trick was the partition on the same disk.

In retrospect, it makes sense, of course.  How would grub know that
/dev/loop1 is really a subset of /dev/loop0?  It wouldn't, unless I tell it.

And yes, it would appear to be supported.  I'm guessing since at least
November 2009, given this email thread:

Thank you Michael, that was the trick.

Kevin