Re: Dedicated grub2 partition

From: Barry Jackson
Subject: Re: Dedicated grub2 partition
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:27:07 +0100

On 02/10/10 05:17, Goh Lip wrote:
On Saturday 02,October,2010 07:07 AM, Barry Jackson wrote:
However I have some more complex legacy grub entries which as yet I
can't figure out. For example :-

title Slackware 13
root (hd0,22)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda23 ro vga=788

title PCLinuxOS Live
kernel (hd0,0)/isolinux/vmlinuz livecd=livecd vga=788 fromusb
root=/dev/sda1 acpi=on fstab=rw,noauto
initrd (hd0,0)/isolinux/initrd.gz

title HD Installer i586
kernel (hd0,0)/i586/vmlinuz-all BOOT_IMAGE=all-install root=/dev/ram3
ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/i586/all.rdz

Any ideas on the right way to go with these in grub2?

Barry

For Slackware, wouldn't this work?
menuentry 'Slackware' {
set root=(hd0,23)
chainloader +1
}

No - invalid signature error. Slack uses lilo by default and I know
nothing about lilo. Not sure if it has a bootloader in the partition
boot sector.

For PCLinuxOS and HDInstaller, you're booting off the livecd iso, so you
will need
menuentry "PCLinux Livecd" {
loopback loop (hd0,1)/<path_to_iso>/xxxPClinuxxxxxx.iso
linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/vmlinuz findiso=<path_at_iso_mount/xxxxxx.iso
boot=livecd vga=788 fromusb
initrd (loop)/boot/<path_to_iso_mount_boot>/initrd.gz
}
No I'm not booting PCLOS live from the .iso, I have extracted
livecd.sqfs and isolinux (folder) from the live CD and put them in my
grubmain (your booto) partition sda1 (1GB). (It fails if these are on
high partitions). The grub menu.lst entry I use then boots it fine in
legacy.
I have just succeeded in getting it working in grub2 with:-

menuentry 'PCLOS Live' {
linux (hd0,1)/isolinux/vmlinuz vga=788 livecd=livecd fromusb
root=/dev/sda1  acpi=on fstab=rw,noauto
initrd (hd0,1)/isolinux/initrd.gz
}
Note that root=... is on the linux line, my mail client wraps it.

Barry, can you really get this live iso booted before grub2? That is
from grub-legacy?

Boot entry (all-install) of HDinstaller looks wrong and I don't know
what boot it uses for the iso file; check this out by manually mounting
first..
"mount -o loop xxxxxxxxxx.iso /mnt/xxx"
Modify accordingly.
Again - not an iso. just vmlinuz and an initrd which I have now got
working in grub2 with:-
menuentry 'HD Installer i586' {
linux (hd0,1)/i586/vmlinuz-all BOOT_IMAGE=all-install root=/dev/ram3
ramdisk_size=32000 vga=791
initrd (hd0,1)/i586/all.rdz
}

Both the above complain about vga= being depricated and to use
gfxpayload but they still work OK.

Also, I don't use PCLinux, but doesn't it uses 'casper' rather than
'livecd'?
No my 2010 version uses livecd.
You used 'rw' in the linux line. you have 'persistent' and a
partition for it?
No - I used the suggested kernel command in this thread (my posts are by
"barjac")
http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,74370.msg610420.html#msg610420

Again, I am puzzled that you can boot these before grub2. Please
confirm. I really want to know.
Yes it really works and boots faster than my main systems. A handy tool
as it uses all the draktools that I am familiar with in Mandriva - my
main distro.

Regards - Goh Lip

Cheers - Barry