Re: How to restore my disk

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: How to restore my disk
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:36:57 +0800

On Sunday 03,October,2010 10:40 AM, Dennis Cao wrote:
> Yesterday, I used this command to correct my MBR on my working computer,
>      $ dd if=/somefile of=/dev/sda  bs=512 count=1
> But very unfortunately, I used a wrong file. Now when I boot my
> working computer, it says:
>     Non-system disk or disk error
>     replace and strike any key when ready
>
> I think the partition table is destroyed. How can I restore my disk?

Cao, this is bad, through another external disk (with an OS), you can
try testdisk and use the photorec facility there to get back your data.
It may still give some errors or not recover fully your data, and it
will take a long, long time. Unless your data there is very important, I
suggest you reinstall.

Regards - Goh Lip