Re: GRUB2, GPT and large partition

From: Saku Ytti
Subject: Re: GRUB2, GPT and large partition
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:04:10 +0200

Hello Jordan,

> the firmware). Since a partition can be partly within your firmware's
> limitation, and partly past it, it's possible for only some files to
> be affected depending on where they're stored on disk. If there are

I suppose everything in the partition currently is well within 2TB, as it
is fresh install. And as far I could see, best I could do was make some
directories show content, try as I could, I couldn't copy grub directory
so that I would be able to 'insmod normal'.
And wouldn't it also be against this theory, that post-install I am able
to copy the old grub directory to new location and be able to read
content of this new directory but not old?

> any BIOS menus that show the size of the drive, confirm that they are
> reporting it correctly. You can also test grub on your drive through

Unfortunately my BIOS tells no such thing.

> qemu by running these commands as root:
> losetup -r /dev/loop0 /dev/sda # Make a read only version of /dev/sda
> # accessible through /dev/loop0. Don't use qemu with /dev/sda directly!
> qemu /dev/loop0
>
> If it's shipped in the debian package you're using you can also use
> the userspace utility "grub-fstest" (which you can use with a
> debugger, in addition to controlling standard debug output with the
> --debug= option).

Thanks I'll do this when I can commit some time on this project again,
it is obviously not important to me to have huge flat partition, I'm just
curious as why it didn't work.

--
  ++ytti