Why isn't Grub seeing my SSD?

From: Evan Kroske
Subject: Why isn't Grub seeing my SSD?
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:20:46 -0500

I just installed a new SSD in my system, and I'm having numerous
problems trying to boot from it. When I try to boot, the
boot-loader-loader (Intel Matrix Storage Manager) skips right over it
and tries to boot from the second drive. I installed Grub to the MBR
on the second drive, pointing it to the boot files on the SSD.
Unfortunately, the SSD is invisible to Grub. Running ls from the Grub
rescue prompt shows only the second drive. However, if I boot from a
LiveCD or flash drive, I can see and mount the SSD. I believe this is
a BIOS problem, but I'm still curious.

How can my SSD show up in Ubuntu but not Grub? What is the difference
between the way Grub finds filesystems and the way Ubuntu does?

Source:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/22843/why-would-a-hdd-be-invisible-to-grub

--
Evan Kroske