Re: How to not use UUIDs at all grub-1.99rc1? VMWare changes UUID on res

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: How to not use UUIDs at all grub-1.99rc1? VMWare changes UUID on restart
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:02:47 -0700

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Jeff Kowalczyk <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to boot Gentoo Linux ~amd64 with grub-1.99rc1 on VMWare. Install is
> done via LiveCD and chroot. Everything up to grub-mkconfig works fine, but on
> restart VMWare, has this strange behavior of returning a different filesystem
> UUID.

I seriously doubt that VMWare is changing the UUID of a filesystem. As
far as I know VMWare has no understanding of filesystems. You may be
seeing a completely different filesystem for some reason, but if
that's the case then you need to figure out why that's happening as it
will cause problems with more than just grub.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)