Re: Dual boot GNU and Windows 7

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Dual boot GNU and Windows 7
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 17:53:28 +0000

Quoth Piscium <address@hidden>:
> There is possibly a way to shrink further. You would need to move files to
> the beginning of the disk before resizing. You could try Mydefrag
> (www.mydefrag.com).

Thanks for the tip.  I did try defragging first (using Windows' own defragger)
but this being a brand new laptop there was no defragged space to be gained.

> You could after installing the tool reboot your PC, press the F8 key to go
> into Safe Mode, then run Mydefrag with the Data Monthly script. This may take
> a few hours to run as in safe mode disk caching is disabled.

Hmm... I don't like the sound of the words 'a few hours' :)

> The reason for the safe mode is that less Windows services will be in use, so
> the corresponding DLLs can be moved about.

I see.

> You may further temporarily disable Windows hibernation and paging, reboot,
> and then re-enable them after defragmentation. This will cause the paging and
> hibernation files to hopefully be moved nearer the beginning of the
> disk. PageDefrag can also be used for some files:
>
>  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb897426
>
> After all the defragging above then you can again try to resize, hopefully
> you will get more free space.

Hmm... thanks for the info but it all sounds like too much work for me at this
stage.

I'll try creating a live CD of Partition Wizard's MiniTool (as suggested by
Joel Roth) and take it from there.

Sebastian
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.