Re: Interactive - Manually booting up the kernel

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Interactive - Manually booting up the kernel
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 01:19:48 -0700

2011/5/23 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:
> Hi all,
>       I am running grub version 1.99-4 .
>
> $ dpkg -l grub-pc
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  grub-pc        1.99-4         GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIO
>
> I am trying to run grub in interactive mode (which means it outputs
> stuff a screenful) and then I can see what is going right or wrong.
>
> I saw the info.grub and came to know about  pager=1 thing.
>
> I did see the files /etc/default/grub and /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> I do not understand why the pager=1 option does not work.
>
> What I tried to do is on the grub-menu use e to edit 2.6.39. kernel
> menu entry and modified the line from :-
>
> linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-1-amd64 root=UUID=somealphanumericUUIDno
> ro init=/sbin/bootchartd quiet

> linux   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-1-amd64 root=UUID=somealphanumericUUIDno ro
> init=/sbin/bootchartd pager=1
>
> The change was just from 'quiet' to 'pager=1' . Then to boot pressed
> F10. While the booting happened, it did not halt/pause after
> information of 1 screenful had passed.
>
> Can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong ?

"pager=1" is something that you run on its own line in the grub shell
(or grub.cfg) to change *grub's* behavior when printing more than a
screen full of output. It is not a kernel parameter and grub cannot
control how the linux kernel or any init scripts display messages
(except through passing kernel parameters, but again pager=1 is not a
kernel parameter and I know of no equivalent to grub's pager=1 for
linux).

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)