- I have a HP 6550b laptop with Win 7
- Just installed Ubuntu 11.10 alongside Win 7
- On reboot I get a list of errors: Out of partition / No suitable mode found / No video mode activated / Invalid Extent
- When GRUB menu loads, I can not load either Win or Linux OS. I get: No such partition / Unkonwn filesystem
- When dropping to GRUB prompt, I try 'help' and get similar errors
- After asking around in #ubuntu I am attempting to reinstal GRUB
- For about 45 minutes, the Boot Repair has been sitting at: 'Reinstall GRUB sda. This may require several minutes...'
Any ideas? Should it really take that long? Or is it hung?
What else can I try?
Incidentally, when I could see the GRUB menu (that Ubuntu 11.10 install had introduced), it said it was GRUB V1.99-12ubuntu5. Does that sound right? I thought it should be GRUB 2?
Phew... Hoping someone can help, otherwise Christmas is looking pretty grim!