Re: Use PBR with BIOS Boot Partition, not blocklists?

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: Use PBR with BIOS Boot Partition, not blocklists?
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 11:48:26 -0500

On 12/13/2011 02:19 AM, Jordan Uggla wrote:
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Isaac Dupree
<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hi GRUB-ers,

BACKGROUND:

Apple's BIOS implementation, at least on my Macbook2,1 , flips out and fails
to boot if you put GRUB* in the usual MBR location.**

[...]

First, please run "grub-install /dev/sda" with no other work arounds
(preferably with grub 1.99) then run boot info script
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/ and post the
RESULTS.txt which it produces (to see if there are any other obvious
problems which might be causing boot to fail).

Okay I will. What state would you like my msdos partition-map to be in at the time I test -- EFI Protective[1], or a hybrid MBR/GPT[2], or something else? Would you like me just to run the boot info script for you, or also to say what happens when I boot from that state? If I boot from that state to test, is it enough for me to hold alt/option[3] to choose booting the MBR, or should I reset the NVRAM to test (in which case I may or may not have to hold alt/option anyway to choose MBR boot)?

[1] I think this is the Apple default but I've changed it so much since buying my machine that I'm not sure. I also won't know what state Apple's Windows-installing Boot Camp GUI puts the disk/NVRAM in because I haven't done that and won't do that.

[2] which I'm using right now so that I can boot via PBR

[3] Holding alt/option while booting, in Apple's firmware, lets you pick what to boot amongst the options it can detect.

-Isaac