Re: Accessing USB from commandline

From: Jake Thomas
Subject: Re: Accessing USB from commandline
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 03:50:05 -0800

As far as actually accessing the USB drive from Grub2...

Do "ls" at comand line to list all the drivemappings.

Do "ls [insert drivemapping here]/" to list the contents of that drivemapping,
provided grub can interpret the filesystem therein. Don't forget the "/" at the
end, or else you'll just get info about the partition.

You can even go deeper, such as:
ls (hd0,msdos3)/boot/grub

To see the contents of the grub folder.

So by viewing the contents of various drivemappings, you can figure out which
is which. Figure out which is your USB drive.

Then I think you do:
set root=[drivemapping for entire USB drive]
chainloader +1
boot

to chainload the USB drive from Grub2 commandline, but it's been a while. Let
me get some sleep and get back to you later.

"insmod" is how you insert modules into Grub (give it functionalities).

So:

insmod part_msdos

Let's it interpret MBR partition tables.

insmod part_gpt

Let's it interpret GUID partition tables.

I'd imagine there's a "usb" module that lets it see USB drives. So if it
doesn't see your USB drive, try:

insmod usb

There's even a raid module to let it see software RAID volumes.

That's one of the beauties of Grub2 - it's modularity.

Cheers,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone