Re: Serial console by with Intel AMT technology SOL (Serial-Over-Lan)

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Serial console by with Intel AMT technology SOL (Serial-Over-Lan)
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:22:39 -0800

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Антон Ципляев <address@hidden> wrote:
> There are already very similar question - still unanswered -- here:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2011-12/msg00093.html
>
> I also have Intel-AMT-enabled motherboard (ASUS P8Q67-M DO).
> Linux kernel found two serial ports: one real, and one SOL port: ttyS1 at
> I/O 0xf0e0 (irq = 17) is a 16550A
> Linux serial console works fine on both.
>
> On boot in grub command line i enter the command :
>> serial --port=0xf0e0
> but receive the error: "Unknown serial port".
>
> Why GRUB can't see this port?

This is apparently due to a bug in grub, where hexadecimal port
numbers starting with a letter rather than a decimal digit weren't
handled properly. This bug was fixed in bzr trunk as of revision 3438,
so upgrading to bzr trunk or any snapshot including that revision
should fix the problem.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)